Friday, December 21, 2007


Friday, December 21, 2007
Evening Pages

OK so I am getting some harassment from family and friends for having not written for some time and also that most of my posts have a spiritual bent towards them. Well, the not writing for a while has to do with the fact that I have had a lot of school work to complete and it seems I am using all my extra time completing that type of writing. (yuk!) I also have been using other spare moments holding, loving on and playing with my new grandson who seems to be growing ever so quickly.

As for the spiritual bent ... All I can say is that I do have that tendency but .... I do think of myself as one who reads and writes to teach and teaches to read and write. I want to do this through this blog and in other creative ways.

Tonight, as I write I will teach about traditions through my own experience and in hopes of inspiring you to consider what new tradition you may start this Christmas ....

A family tradition started six years ago as my husband and I were serving with the Joni and Friends Area Ministry. My children asked me what I wanted for Christmas and that year I stated all I wanted was to give to others. This began the "Envelope on the Tree" tradition. Each year I place an envelope on our Christmas tree and the children (now adults) place money in the envelope. No one knows when and who and how much is placed there, but they do know who will receive the gift, sometime after Christmas, because it is written on the envelope. The first year we did this, the money was given to Joni and Friends, MN to be used to bring the good news of Jesus Christ to the disabled community in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Each year since I have been able to select the receiver as my Christmas gift from the kids. Because I love to give, this tradition is a favorite of mine. This year in the busyness of the season I almost forgot to put the envelope on the tree but was reminded by my daughter Carrie (who will not be with us this year for Christmas for the very first time). She asked who the envelope would be going to, because even though she would not be with us this Christmas, she had included money for the envelope in her package sent to us by mail. As of today the envelope is on the tree and does say from the Pederson's but there is no "to" yet. I am still not sure who the envelope will go to but as I pray I am open to how the Lord will lead.

In His Arms and In His will, Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment