One thing for sure I can say about a good vacation is that it seems like we have been gone forever rather than just 8 days thus far .....
Interesting things to note that on Day 7 we left Hat Creek at 9 am and for $9.50 we were able to pump 2.9 gallons. Our half way point on Monday was Willows Calf. (now having traveled 2248 miles)
We found a Starbucks right next to a Subway so we took out our dollars from Carrie (we had decided these dollars would be used for treats) and I proceeded into the Starbucks and got a hot chai and then went to subway to get Terry a cold coke! Today we found ourselves traveling along the coast and stopped briefly for me to put my feet in the ocean. At 2:50 pm we traveled over the Golden Gate bridge and when we got to the other side it cost us $6.00. At 4:30 we arrived at the Ramada Limited (once again "Limited" must mean no access to Internet even though they say wifi available). We walked across the street to the Santa Cruz Dinner for dinner. It reminded us a bit of the soda fountain in Terry's dad's drugstore. We sat at the counter and watched the server make malts.
Tuesday, August 17 Day 8
We had a contenetial breakfast in the motel lobby and we were off and driving at 9:31 am. This was the latest we had left any of our overnight stays. The temps were a cool (high 50's) and there was a cool ocean breeze along with a bit of fog.
As we were driving down the 101 in Ca towards Aunt Eleanor's home in Atascadero I was reading Neenah Ellis' book to Terry. We were at the chapter entitled Margaret Rawson, "We used to go out into the park in back and eat lunch." This women had lived to be 100 and was an author. Fascinating story!
I paused and said aloud ... "If I can be a teacher with a college degree at 57, I can be an author at 75." Of course, I believe I have been a teacher since I have been a mother. And since I am already a writer, hence this blog and journals dated back to 1980, I can just say i will be a "published" writer by the age of 75. Sometimes it's good to speak your dreams aloud, right Lisa?
Terry than is thinking aloud and is remembering his mom's birthday (100 years) 4 years ago last March was the last time he saw Eleanor in Calf and for me it was 9 year ago when Terry and I were working for Joni and Friends. We both of course remember our visit two summers ago when Eleanor and Nancy came to MN to visit.
A lot has happened in years past. Lots of good memories that both Terry and I are thankful for having the ability to share and remember as we drive and talk with one another.
No comments:
Post a Comment