Monday, March 12, 2012

Grateful for a game of basketball!

Grateful for a game of basketball in the gym with the boys on Monday!



I am a teacher, I work with 4, 5, and 6, grade black boys who just happen to have Emotional Behavior Disorders (EBD). I walk into the darkness each day from 9-3:30.  I cry out to the Lord for these boys at night as I lay my head on the pillow. I pray for them on my way to work. When one of them gets angry at me during the day and tells me to "f" off or calls me a "b", white woman that I am, I bring peace and calm and I begin to pray for them. I bring empathy and compassion as one boy says, "Mrs. P. when I got angry today at you, it wasn't you I was angry at. It was just that my mom told me last night that my grandma committed suicide". He cries and I listen. It's true I walk into the darkness daily but I bring the light because I am Living Sent. 

 I come home today after a full day with the boys. I remember that I belong to Him and my heart is full of gratefulness.


Gratefulness knowing that I have been on the receiving end of gracious comments too, the ones He whispers in my ear, "you are mine, you are worthy, and you are amazing".


I know the power of well-chosen words. I speak them as a teacher and I hear them from the students; "Thanks Mrs. Pederson, Can you help me Mrs. Pederson?"


Still counting and speaking my gratefulness


807. a cold winter day

808. the cardinal on the bird feeder

809. the amazement of the grandchildren as they watch the birds and squirrels eat

810. warm coffee

811. reading Bible stories to the kids

812. a day for warm pj’s

813. heat for the house on a cold weather day

814. sitting face to face with Him

815. His love washing over me

816. a warm embrace from the golfer

817. just a simple egg and toast 

818. grateful that my life is not defined by my own pain but by my union with Christ

819. warm chili served by the hands of the golfer

820. a good night’s rest

821. knowing I am loved, chosen and called

822. a game of basketball in the gym with the boys

823. grateful to have a teaching job


I speak these words to Him, make me an "oak of Righteousness," partnering with You in the restoration of the shattered lives of these boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment