OK, so now I am currently reading Humility True Greatness and I came across an author who I looked up on the web today ... this author pointed me to another author (Whitefield) and these questions by George Whitefield.
Probe Your Soul with Questions
George Whitefield (1714-1770) was "the best-known evangelist of the eighteenth century and one of the greatest itinerant preachers in the history of Protestantism." Before he retired each night, he opened his journal and probed his soul with questions such as these he'd placed in the flyleaf:
Have I,
Been fervent in prayer?
After or before every deliberate conversation or action, considered how it might tend to God's glory?
After any pleasure, immediately given thanks?
Planned business for the day?
Been simple and recollected in everything?
Been meek, cheerful, affable in everything I said or did?
Been proud, vain, unchaste, or enviable of others?
Recollected in eating and drinking? Thankful? Temperate in sleep?
Thought or spoken unkindly of anyone?
Confessed all sins?
It seemed to be something I wanted to remember so I choose to copy and paste the journal ideas which are indeed soul searching questions on my blog rather than just posting them in my personal journal. I post also in hopes that these questions to be asked by me at the end of the day may spur others on to think more deeply and to allow me more accountability for my words and deeds.
For the "pleasure" of family time, Thank You Father! The past week I have throughly enjoyed ... children, grandchildren, celebrating Annika's first birthday in TX, reading, writing and more reading and writing ... I could choose to be "down" today knowing that this time is coming to a quick end as I am done with spring break tomorrow and back to work, and school with less time to spend with family and doing what I love best reading and writing or I can choose this day and tomorrow and here after to look forward to what is ahead walks with Terry ... adding a daughter to my family ... another grandchild ... (Carrie's pg with baby number 2) ... Adam's graduation from Teen Challenge ... and on it goes ...
I choose to look forward to the days ahead and all that God has in store for me and my precious family.
Father, as I probe my soul, just for today, may I be mindful to be "humble and contrite in spirit." Is 66:2
Constantly running into Your arms for confession, and forgiveness because You were forsaken!
He is Risen!
He is Risen Indeed!
A very Blessed Easter to All! B.
No comments:
Post a Comment