Monday, April 06, 2009

Monday, April 6, 2009
evening pages

On Sunday of last week I asked the children's prayer team to pray for me because as my Pastor said that morning I had a desire for "the real gospel to provide transformational change in the believer" me of course, being the believer he was speaking of.

I then e-mailed a friend to let her know that I was turning off the TV from Monday-Friday. I told her about my decision to turn off the TV and about how I had asked my kids to pray for me ... then I told my friend I was going on vacation and was looking for some books to read in addition to the Word, as this friend believes in reading, living, and applying the gospel first before extra circular reading. I also knew that I wanted to be in the word more and wanted to grow in the word more .... so might I just add that I wholeheartedly agree with this position to prioritize the reading of the Word of God first!

When I met up with her after work last Tuesday she asked what type of reading I was looking for ... "something good for my heart, my mind, or my hands?" I said I was not sure so ... she recommended one book saying she might be using it this summer to pour into her leaders. (something she does very well by the way). The book Humility by C.J. Mahaney. Then she handed me another book Crazy Love by Fancis Chan and said she had not read it but had heard it was good ... she said I could borrow it but not mark it up ... she knows me every so well!

So then I am about to walk out of her office door when she stops me to say," Oh I have this book too ... I've read most of it she says" ... I took one look at the title and said I'll take it too ... the title Worldliness, Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World, edited by C. J. Mahaney.

Just to give you a glimpse into this last book which is the one I choose to read first ... The entire book is based on one Bible verse that is indeed in your Bible too

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world the love of the Father is not in him." 1 John 2:13

Can I just prompt you to pick up the book and read it too ... it has become an answer to the children's prayer for God to allow transformational change in my life. I am so excited at what the Lord has done this past week both through the word and the reading of this book and others provided to me from my friend ...

In His Arms reading His Word and books written by and for His people ... B.

No comments:

Post a Comment