Wednesday, June 16, 2010

School's Out! Reading, Writing, and Art are In!

June 16, 2010 Morning Pages

I am so excited to share that school is out and therefore my mornings will be filled with reading, writing and art ... most likely, more reading, than writing and art yet, I do have concrete plans for the later two.

I have already started a new book on my kindle. As I was scrolling my kindle and scoping out some books I found a book of interest. What I love about my kindle is that I can download any book and sample it before I decide to buy the book for cheap ... this book $9.99. The book A Young People's History of the World by Howard Zinn.

I find that I have a deficit in knowing history, but I know there are many ways to learn history. One of these ways, of course, is by reading. In the past, I have had a tendency, to read authors I am familiar with. This particular author I did not know, he was not recommended, yet I found myself drawn to him. I even asked my husband (a history major some years ago) if he had heard of Howard Zinn.

I learned that Zinn, through this book, choose to use some unlikely voices, to teach about history, and some of these voices, include children. I also learned, by reading the sample of the book, that Zinn would choose to tell the truth of history through his eyes and knowledge. Of intrest to me, Zinn's truth may not be in the current history books our children are reading.

A quote to close my blog with today ....

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"

What I have not yet learned, I believe I will be unable to teach. Therefore, I am looking forward to the lazy days of summer ... to be learning, through the disciplines of reading, writing and art!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the new blog look! How perfect for you. So happy summer is here too, hopefully it means I will get to do a little more reading of YOUR writing! :)

    LYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa ... it was really fun to give my blog and update and yes you will find more writing to read soon.

    ReplyDelete