Rush here, rush there ... my husband and children fight as to who will steer my wheelchair through the thick crowds of parents and children at Pilgrim Lane Elementary school, during Open House Night for parents and their kids this past September.
It hasn't always been this way -- the golfer and I moved to Plymouth, MN in March 1987 after having our 4Th child. I was a daycare provider in our Plymouth home and we had been licensed foster care parents for 7 years, taking care of disabled children. I continued to do daycare until May of 1989. At this time things drastically changed for our family of seven. the oldest 14, the next 9 the son 6 the daughter 4 and the littlest 2, found it hard to understand as the golfer and I did that I had Multiple Sclerosis. I crept up somewhat slowly, but quite progressively for me.
Multiple Sclerosis or M.S. as it is so often called is a disease of the central nervous system. M.S. has affected me in many ways. I have chronic fatigue, muscle stiffness, spasticity, and instability and an often inability to walk, problems with balance, tremors and at time slurred speech. Because of M.S. I have been able to work closely with the Courage Center and the Small Business Administration to start my own business in my home. I am currently working on the computer designing and printing my own greeting cards.
Rush her, rush there ... sometimes I am taking the 4-year old and the littlest to church or we're off to the son's soccer game as a family or out shopping with the oldest and occasionally out to dinner with the golfer. If you don't find me with my husband or kids you will find me in my wheelchair at my computer, personally designing images in print, enjoying the challenges that come with being a wife, mother and working parent with a disability.
No comments:
Post a Comment