Monday, September 29, 2014

Words written in red

When I sat with my grandson on Friday night and I listened to him read Frog and Toad Together I was pleased to hear another generation read. I want to never take the ability, art, and privilege to hold a book, touch it's pages, read it's words and have the words wash over my life and change me for granted. 

It is the reason I practice the "daily office" as some call the discipline to read the word daily 

It is the reason why the gift of a book is my first thought for giving

This year 2014 I had a desire to give the gift that keeps on giving so I looked over and through my bookshelf. I handled and touched and reread some books and some that had handwritten notations and prayers I had jotted down during the times I read the books.

It is the reason why when my Tx daughter turned another year older I passed on The Mother's Topical Bible

It is the reason why when my son turned 30 I passed on a devotional I had read at different times over my life span in Christ of thirty seven years

It is the reason why I passed on My Daily Light to a good friend. She is one who continually reminds me, instructs me and holds me accountable to the reading and applying of the word  

When my grandson was reading Frog and Toad together and he read their "lists" I was reminded of the things on my list this year....

passing on books that had depth and meaning in my life 
books on prayer, classics like Pilgrims Progress, books with journaling pages and character traits 

my prayer this morning is that the next generation of Pederson's in a time of computers, i phones, kindles will never loose the desire and ability to touch the pages, read the words especially the words written in red

No comments:

Post a Comment